Those with children (or grandchildren) in their lives, take special note of the Fremont Library Summer Art Camps the week of July 25. These look to be a genuinely fun and even exciting experiences presented by Jan McCauley, MFA [Master of Fine Arts], and customized to grades 1-4 in the morning and grades 5-8 in the afternoon. You may reach the library at 260.495.7157, and special thanks to the Fremont Parks and Recreation department for the primary financing.
I talked with Jan a bit recently, and was surprised to learn just how in-sync our views are with respect to children and artistic imagination, but I have no doubt whatsoever that Jan is way more fun. She writes “Welcome to the Imaginarium, where we will contemplate and create the world from an entirely different perspective … Students will explore various ways in which to visually communicate the inner and outer world of perceptions from an altered point of view …. draw, paint, print, collage and journal their way thru this week of thought-provoking fun!”
Jan is known as an accomplished free-lance artist, designer, and art instructor, and after talking and corresponding with her, I believe these sessions will be creative and inspirational indeed. And what a bargain at $15 for the entire week, not to mention intellectual and creative enrichment that might, for some, persist throughout a lifetime.
Details: July 25-29; morning 10:00-11:30 grades 1-4; afternoon 1:00-3:00 grades 5-8. $15 for materials. Sign up deadline is July 15.
Now, another Alley Art Battle follow-up, Haley Church of Angola, just-graduated from Indiana Wesleyan University and “looking for an art teaching job any where I can find work.” Her “battle piece” was (ironically) a most-serene and graceful blue heron at rest in its natural habitat. The only piece representing nature, its tranquility and beauty were very welcome to my mind. Haley’s expressive lines and pallet verily reflected the essence of her subject, and I believe she has a bright future, whatever might happen (or not happen) in the short term. Photo by Miriam Oberlin, taken in the course of her performance as an Alley Art Battle participant.
The following words are Haley’s reflections on her Alley Art Battle work and beyond:
My favorite time to be out on a lake is when the weekend bustle ends and it returns to a serene place. When we slow down like this, we start to see the nature and beauty that the lakes offer. The blue heron is an elegant bird that you just might not notice if you're zooming by. Because of the time constraint, I only created one circle piece [the work was painted on a circular format], but I am in the process of creating two more circle pieces that can be presented in series with the blue heron, or else stand alone. All three will be lake themed, and have the same color scheme.
The creative process starts out with an idea, yet leaves freedom for change. It's a parallel with life; everything doesn't always turn out as we envision it, but with a little elbow grease, we come out stronger and more beautiful in the end. I do not know where I will get a job, or where my next steps will be, but I know that I will always call Angola home. Participating in the art battle was fun, and it was exciting to see how other locals are using their talents.
Update: Received word that Haley Church has accepted her first teaching job in Plymouth, IN where she will be teaching art at two local elementary schools. Best wishes to Haley Church in her first job and beyond.
Until the next post, know that the Angola area lakes region is an Art Region, and its towns are Art Towns!
Stephen Rowe currently serves as the Angola Regional Artists’ Guild publicity chairman and writes two additional blogs:
Stephen welcomes correspondence of all sort per StephenRowe.OriGraphics@yahoo.com
No comments:
Post a Comment